About the job
The Hopper Cloud group builds and operates portals to provide our partner’s customers with an outstanding marketplace to buy travel products.
We’re looking for a software engineering manager to take a hands-on role leading a team with focus on fulfillment, inventory and pricing optimization for all travel products sold on our flagship portal. This role has a unique mix of breadth and depth, requiring a deep understanding of all product lines as well as core eCommerce. The team has a very impactful roadmap and this is a great place to drive meaningful revenue growth for Hopper.
Responsibilities Take a hands-on approach to design, implement and deliver services ensuring a robust foundation for the travel marketplaces we are buildingGrow and retain your team while setting high-performance standardsCollaborate closely with a team of engineers and product leaders to establish a long term vision, set objectives and build a technical roadmapEnsure a highly available and resilient system and foster a culture of operational excellence.Coach individual contributors and technical leaders and grow them as technologists.Be a trusted advisor to our technology leadership and your peersChampion the Hopper tenets and values
Minimum QualificationsExperience leading teams that deliver large-scale, robust microservice solutions. You will be responsible for the design, implementation and operation of services critical to a large production system.A love for learning and teaching. This team has a large scope which you will need to efficiently dig deep into. You will have a lot to learn from and pass on to your team!Experience growing and managing a team of highly autonomous software engineers. You will hire and lead exceptional and autonomous engineers by example. You will build a strong shared context to ensure alignment at speed.
Preferred QualificationsSite Reliability Engineering experience - Do you know how to operate critical systems in production?Scala, Java or other JVM or functional programming languages - Do you have experience you can leverage to hit the ground running on the development tasks?Domain knowledge on Air, Hotels, Rental car supply or eCommerce.
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!