Our DevOps team focuses on supporting Checkr’s sustained growth by providing a world-class infrastructure platform. Specifically - a suite of cloud-based self-service tools for Engineering, with Kubernetes at the base. DevOps engineers are responsible for automating and managing our deployment process, provisioning resources in the cloud, monitoring, and systems-level troubleshooting.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr
As a Sr Staff DevOps engineer, you no longer focus on an individual team’s success, instead you are ultimately measured by your ability to affect all teams at Checkr positively. Your vision for a productive and value-adding engineering organization is known throughout Checkr. You inspire others and set a positive example.
- Work with the DevOps team and the outside stakeholders to align on long-term vision and translate it into an actionable plan
- Work with the Product team and management on putting together roadmaps and quarterly objectives
- Facilitate knowledge sharing within the team and across the organization, evangelize and persuade to drive organization-wide changes
- Provide technical guidance and help the engineering organization formulate, adopt and adhere to DevOps best practices
- Identify opportunities for improving processes and help set priorities
- Contribute to team projects by creating POCs, helping the team with estimates, defining and planning project objectives, and executing to completion.
- Participate in on-call rotation, and help create and maintain documentation
What we value in a Sr Staff DevOps Engineer
Even though a significant portion of your time will be dedicated to activities like planning, documentation, presentations and in general working with people, we believe these should be grounded in actual engineering experience. You will need to understand the technology and the challenges engineers at Checkr are dealing with, and at times - roll up your sleeves and perform the necessary work to guarantee progress on your initiatives.
- 10+ yrs experience in distributed systems and microservice-based architectures
- 7+ yrs experience in AWS or a similar cloud service provider
- 5+ yrs experience in Kubernetes, including use of operators; EKS, Helm; Experience with other orchestration and containerization tooling would be a plus
- Experience with presentations and leading major technical project initiatives
- Excellent communication skills - verbal and written
- Strong experience in IaC, Terraform & Terragrunt
- Experience with CI/CD best practices, tools. GitLab and ArgoCD - strong preference
- Strong experience with regard to infrastructure security best practices; application security
- Experience with Kafka or other event streaming solutions
- Experience with Hashicorp Vault, or similar secrets management tools
- Fluency in Go; familiarity with Ruby on Rails preferred
- Experience with monitoring systems and dashboard tools: DataDog, NewRelic, Splunk etc.
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. The salary range for this role is $154,203- $320,965.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
- Citizenship: Not Provided
- Incentives: Not Provided
- Education: Not Provided
- Travel: Not Provided
- Telework: Not Provided