Who We Are
NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society.
With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scales. Through building impactful partnerships and programs, NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe.
NewGlobe’s high-touch, intensive professional development programs, along with integrated school management, teacher support, and assessment software, enable schools to succeed. NewGlobe works within the state and national curricula and syllabi, ensuring all children are empowered to learn their own history, and master local content, while being globally competitive in mathematics and languages. The science of behavior change and the science of learning is at the foundation of all programming.
NewGlobe works with urgency because youth quickly becomes adulthood and relentlessly because improvement requires continuous problem-solving. NewGlobe is honored to serve and help rebuild trust in public systems.
NewGlobe’s work is all-encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us.
Technology plays a critical role in enabling us to provide transformative education at a massive scale in highly resource-constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programs, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development, and IT operations.
Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
About the Role
All our teams run lean and need to cover a lot of ground - while pupil growth is exponential, the tech department’s size grows only very slightly. Enter automation, which gives us the leverage to balance supporting the systems that already teach hundreds of thousands of kids each day with our need to rapidly evolve our core technology offering.
At NewGlobe, our teams are self-organizing and autonomous cross-functional - meaning that a given software development team is responsible for everything needed to deliver a product, from design through deployment into production - we don’t have separate teams for testing and deployment. If you’re looking to be a gatekeeper, NewGlobe will not be right for you. If you’re looking to tell other people what to do or have someone else tell you what to do, NewGlobe is not your next company.
On the other hand, if you’re all about being an enabler of teams, about curiosity and innovation, and more than anything, about automation and repeatability, then NewGlobe might just be your next gig. If you get energy from being both a thought leader and also a peer and collaborator, NewGlobe might well be for you.
We’ve already got hundreds of build pipelines building and deploying our cloud-native microservices and applications to our AWS data centers, with more and more of them running in Docker containers - so we’re not at the beginning of our journey… but we are at the point of where we need to bring in someone to take us to the next level.
This role reports to the VP of Software Development, but will also work closely with the IT Operations teams and be an important connector between departments.
What You Will Do
- More than anything, evangelize a culture of automation and repeatability across all our tech teams and departments - and then get your hands dirty working directly with our teams to make it a reality
- Own, maintain, and evolve our continuous delivery platforms, ensuring we’ve got the right tools and platforms - and that we’re making the best use of them to meet our needs
- Look after the continuous delivery infrastructure, ensuring high availability and reliability, while also being cost sensitive
- Help resolve “works on my machine” automated testing issues by pairing with our QA engineers and software developers to run down environmental, network, or other complicating factors
- Review, improve, and define our server provisioning process (by the way, we currently use masterless Puppet… mostly)
- Collaborate with software and IT infrastructure teams to design and implement our next-generation deployment architecture, with scalability in mind - clustering, autoscaling, blue-green deployments
- Design, build and improve our production monitoring and alerting capabilities.
- Firefight production issues when needed.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related degree, with excellent academic performance
- Should be able to solve problems occurring with our highly available production systems and build solutions and automation to prevent them from happening again;
- Experience in Site Reliability, building, Release, and maintain complex and scalable systems
- Solid experience in C# and .NET environments
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code technologies;
- Experience with AWS or other public cloud services
- Solid foundation in Linux administration and troubleshooting;
- Additional experience in Kubernetes, Networking, Security or Storage is desirable;
- Monitoring/observability technologies like Prometheus, Graphite, Grafana, Kibana, and Elasticsearch are a plus;
- 3+ years of commercial DevOps experience at the enterprise level. 5+ years overall commercial software experience at the enterprise level
- Hands-on experience across at least a couple of continuous delivery platforms (e.g. Jenkins, Go.CD, CircleCI, TFS). We are using GO.CD at NewGlobe.
- Hands-on experience in a couple of Code as Infrastructure tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience in containerization (Docker) and containerization infrastructure (Kubernetes, DockerSwarm, etc.)
- Expertise in Windows and Linux/Ubuntu, fluency with Bash and PowerShell.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as fantastic even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
- Citizenship: Not Provided
- Incentives: Not Provided
- Education: Not Provided
- Travel: Not Provided
- Telework: Not Provided