We hold the key to making quantum useful! Q-CTRL is a company with a deep start-up spirit with offices in Sydney, Los Angeles and Berlin. Our goal is to revolutionise the way quantum technology is used by delivering transformational, real-life outcomes for the world’s most innovative and impactful industry. Simply put, we make quantum technology useful.
We’re led by our values; to be real, be trusted, be just and to be revered. They guide us in everything we do, how we work together and how we shape the future of the quantum field. To help us do that, we’ve brought together an inspiring team of world leading physicists, engineers, product and design specialists (to name a few!). So whether you’re a quantum expert or simply unsure where you fit into a business like ours, we want to hear from you!
About the role:
Since its inception, the Q-CTRL Platform has grown from a single product with one application that could run on a single container to a growing list of products in a rapidly expanding and highly distributed Kubernetes environment, hosting content driven products such as Black Opal, integrations to various quantum computing back-ends with Fire Opal, and the highly configurable and resource intensive Boulder Opal. The Q-CTRL DevOps Engineering team is expanding its team to bring on someone who will help ensure that our applications remain available, performant, reliable, scalable, and secure, with strong inspiration from the tenets of Site Reliability Engineering.
What you'll be doing:Take ownership of and work closely with the Technology Leads and their teams to bring them together to work on a centralized alerting, logging, metrics, and monitoring strategy for the entire Q-CTRL Platform.Play a major role in the ongoing maintenance and transformation of the Q-CTRL Platform, a Kubernetes-based platform containing a variety of different workloads, including quantum modeling and GPU-accelerated machine learning tasks.Becoming intimately familiar with our software stack, including but not limited to: Providing insight from your past knowledge and integrating that into our overall platform architecture, making changes to application code when needed, and ensuring we use the best technologies possible to achieve our platform goals.Ensure that Q-CTRL stays current with industry best practices for operating in the cloud and proactively apply them, be a passionate advocate of DevOps culture, and be an active contributor towards innovating on and improving on our software engineering practices.Be a key resource internally within the team for code reviews and knowledge sharing, stepping up within the team when there are knowledge gaps or something needs to be worked out.Be consistently learning, as staying on top of your game is part of your job.
Ideally you'll have:At least 4 years of experience in DevOps Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering OR you are a skilled Software Engineer who is highly familiar with Site Reliability Engineering and operations.Experience in configuring monitoring stacks such as PLG and ELK, know how to operate them at scale, and how to onboard developers and their applications to use them with minimal configuration needed.Experience with operating Kubernetes in a production environment, including configuring and setting up third party Helm Charts and Kubernetes Operators such as Cluster Autoscaler and Prometheus Operator.Knowledge about public clouds such as AWS or GCP to know how to configure them to current best practices as infrastructure as code and how that applies to a Kubernetes environment.Knowledge in software development and programming and can quickly understand what an application is doing by looking at its codebase, sometimes with minimal information at hand. We primarily work with applications that use Go and Python.Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.A keen eye that identifies areas for improvement and takes initiative in implementing new technologies and solutions while building things the right way.
It would be fantastic if you have these skills/backgrounds but not essential:Relevant Kubernetes certifications such as CKA, CKAD, or CKS.Relevant public cloud certifications such as AWS SAA/SAP or GCP ACE/PCA.Familiarity with the contents of Google’s Site Reliability Books and how some of the learnings from them would be used at a company depending on the size of their team and its platform.An understanding of CNCF and its various projects. Linkerd, OpenTelemetry, and Prometheus in particular.Experience with APM tools such as New Relic and Sentry.
- Flexibility: We embrace hybrid and remote work so you can focus more on your global impact rather than rigid work schedules
- Parental support: Family comes first. We offer paid parental leave to support you and your family
- Diversity: As an equal employment opportunity employer, we value diversity, inclusion and providing equal opportunities to all. We do this by actively supporting community initiatives around the world promoting diversity and including in STEM among others
- Competitive remuneration: Enjoy the start-up life without start-up wages
- Equity: We offer the potential for equity share and annual bonuses so you have a sense of ownership in what you do
- Well funded: We closed our Series B in November 2021
- Unique culture: You’ll be surrounded by leading physicists, engineers, product, marketing and design teams globally with a strong desire to learn and transfer knowledge
- Our values: You’ll work alongside our incredibly supportive team that works consistently to deliver our core values to be real, be trusted, be just and to be revered
- Personal development: We provide you with a generous personal development and wellness budget
- Meaningful work: Last but not least, you’ll have the opportunity to work in one of the world’s leading deep technology companies and truly make an impact that matters!
Please note: Q-CTRL is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. We are committed to being inclusive in the way we hire. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements mentioned in the job posting.
To recruitment agencies, we do not accept unsolicited branded profiles and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.