Life360 is a Remote First company, which means a remote work environment will be the primary experience for all employees. All positions, unless otherwise specified, can be performed remotely (within the US) regardless of any specified location above.
At Life360, we’re on a mission to simplify safety so families can live fully. Everyday more than 50 million members across 195 countries trust us to protect and connect their loved ones at home, on the road, and on the go.
From real-time location updates to keep everyone coordinated, to Crash Detection and 24/7 Roadside Assistance, Life360 is designed to free families from everyday worries. Our range of Driving Safety, Digital Safety, Location Safety, and Personal Safety features are there to keep our members safe every step of the way.
Life360 has more than 500 (and growing!) remote-first employees.
In 2021, Life360 acquired Tile, the pioneer in finding technology, and Jiobit, one of the top real-time location monitoring platforms for families. These expanded offerings mark an important step forward towards achieving our vision of being the world's leading platform for people, pets and things.
About The Team
The Systems Cloud team develops and maintains the core backend systems delivering real-time location functionality to the Life360 app. The Systems Cloud team is a part of our Systems Engineering department, a cross-platform group which builds the product platforms that empower rapid and robust product development. Our platforms are optimized for durability, high availability, low latency, and internet-scale.
About the Job
The Systems Cloud team is currently implementing the next generation, event-based architecture which will empower Life360 to continue to economically and effortlessly scale for our growing, global user base for years to come. You will play a critical role in executing against this goal.
The salary range for this position is $170,000 to $220,000. We take into consideration an individual's background and experience in determining final salary- therefore, base pay offered may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The compensation package includes a wide range of medical, dental, vision, financial, and other benefits, as well as equity.
What You’ll Do
- Build fault-tolerant, low latency, horizontally scalable solutions which can handle billions of transactions per day
- Tackle performance and reliability challenges in some of Life360's most mission critical systems
- Serve as a technical leader and mentor on one of Life360’s core engineering teams, instilling engineering excellence within the team
- Exercise Service Ownership responsibilities by joining the team’s on-call schedule, mitigating production incidents, and participating in our culture of blameless postmortems
What We're Looking For
- You have architected, developed and operated production-ready distributed systems at scale (Life360 operates at 10+ billion transactions per day)
- You have experience in building, maintaining, and supporting systems that are either web-based and/or use real-time distributed messaging platforms (we use NSQ, Kinesis, and Kafka)
- You have significant backend programming experience in Java and a java-based micro service framework (we use Spring Boot)
- You are experienced with usage of orchestration platforms and container runtimes, infrastructure as code, and cloud-native environments (we use Kubernetes, docker, and terraform, all hosted on AWS)
- You have experience and interest in leading and mentoring junior engineers on engineering best practices
- You have remote work experience and are able to work and communicate effectively (both synchronously and asynchronously) in a fast-paced, remote first organization
- 5+ years as a backend engineer dealing with production large-scale, distributed backend systems
- You have a BS/MS/Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar quantitative field or the equivalent industry experience
We value having a diverse and inclusive community from many backgrounds, so even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, we encourage you to apply.
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Mental Wellness Program & Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental well being
- Flexible PTO, 13 company-wide days off throughout the year & paid Holiday Shutdown
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your preferred circle
- Free Tile Products
Our company’s mission driven culture is guided by our shared values to create a trusted work environment where you can bring your authentic self to work and make a positive difference
- Be a Good Person - We have a team of high integrity people you can trust.
- Be Direct With Respect - We communicate directly, even when it’s hard.
- Members Over Metrics - We focus on building an exceptional experience for families.
- High Intensity High Impact - We do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Since the majority of our staff is located on the US West Coast, our primary working hours will be 9-4pm PST
- Citizenship: Not Provided
- Incentives: Not Provided
- Education: Not Provided
- Travel: Not Provided
- Telework: Not Provided