Varsity Tutors, a Nerdy company, is searching for a highly-skilled, action-oriented Lead DevOps Engineer. This role will work with the rest of the DevOps Team to ensure that Varsity Tutors delivers learning solutions that are highly scalable, flexible, and customer-focused. This person will also be proactive in driving the continuous improvement of our products and programs, helping to ensure better quality, security, and overall efficiency of our processes. This position is fully remote, with occasional travel for team or company get-togethers.
Nerdy (NYSE: NRDY), the parent company of Varsity Tutors, is a leading platform for live online learning, with a mission to transform the way people learn through technology. The Company’s purpose-built proprietary platform leverages technology, including AI (Nerdy AI Learning Products - Press Release), to connect learners of all ages to experts, delivering superior value on both sides of the network. Nerdy’s comprehensive learning destination provides learning experiences across 3,000+ subjects and multiple formats—including one-on-one instruction, small group classes, large format group classes, on-demand study support, and adaptive self-study. Nerdy’s flagship business, Varsity Tutors, is one of the nation’s largest platforms for live online tutoring and classes. Its solutions are available directly to students and consumers, as well as through schools and other institutions. Learn more about Nerdy at https://www.nerdy.com/.
- Creation and management of AWS cloud infrastructure and configuration as well as ensuring systems and services are leveraging best practices, security, and standards.
- Strong experience and expertise with managing, securing, and scaling Kubernetes
- Provide strong partnership with development teams to develop internal platforms and services to enable expediency and self-service for development teams.
- Provide partnership with other teams such as financial, legal, and operations.
- Provide, maintain, and optimize the build process to support continuous integration.
- Investigates, debugs and drives improvements to the engineering and build automation process.
- Support and improve efficiency and effectiveness of tools (CI/CD, automated testing, automation and release).
- Conduct security risk assessment activities including threat modeling, vulnerability analysis and analysis of mitigation solutions
- Work cross-functionally to assess risk and help deliver countermeasures that protect customers and company data
- Ensure that the SaaS services and associated infrastructure maintain required levels of security, availability, reliability, scalability, and performance to meet SLAs.
- Build incident management, operational monitoring, and alerting capabilities to proactively report, troubleshoot, and fix problems.
- With the team, own vendor management for existing and new vendors the team leverages.
- Regular on-call rotations for team owned services and infrastructure.
- 5+ years of industry experience enabling developers through DevOps
- 2+ years as a Lead with experience in leading, coordinating, and delivering cross-team projects of considerable scope and complexity.
- Industry experience with security and vulnerability of cloud infrastructure (prevention, detection, and remediation).
- Strong experience building and maintaining AWS (Amazon Web Services) infrastructure (EC2, ELB, ALB, VPC, IAM, Route53, Lambda, Kinesis, CloudWatch, etc.).
- Experience deploying and managing infrastructure with CloudFormation, CDK, and Terraform.
- Experience with various programming languages (e.g. Python, Ruby, Golang, shell).
- Strong experience with pipeline tools such as GitHub and Artifactory.
- Diligent mentality, robust sense of responsibility/accountability and strong verbal/written communication, documentation, and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with a team to develop and enhance amazing platforms and services.
- Familiarity with SOC2, SOX and FERPA compliance
Varsity Tutors Leadership Principles:
Relentless Focus on Customers * Comfort with Ambiguity * Ownership * Simplify * Intellectual Curiosity * Build Teams * Think Big * Insist on High Standards * Bias for Action * Build Trust * Go Deep * Have Conviction * Deliver Results * Are Right, a Lot
- Competitive Salary plus Equity in the company
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Pet)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Maternity, Paternal, and Adoption Leave
- Remote Position
- Flexible PTO
- Hackfest! (Multiple times per year)
- Free Learning Membership for you and your household (1-1 tutoring hours, unlimited use of on-demand services, and access to our online classes)
- A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help transform how the world learns!
- A fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback-rich culture
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position. We’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate. Everyone can grow at Varsity Tutors. Apply now if this is a role that would make you excited to come to work every day!
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
- Citizenship: Not Provided
- Incentives: Not Provided
- Education: Not Provided
- Travel: Not Provided
- Telework: Not Provided