What We Do
We enable Epic’s application and game development teams to build, deploy, and manage services that are used by more than half a billion players around the world. Our mission is to provide world class capabilities that improve the experience of our developers by making it simpler, faster, more efficient and safer to deploy, operate, update and repair applications and web services. We operate at a massive scale as one of the largest cloud computing users in the world and continue to evolve as a center of excellence both for Cloud Infrastructure as well as Online Game Developer Experience. We are a dev+ops style organization practicing, “you build it, you run it” principles for all capabilities that we offer.
What You'll Do
As Principal Engineer you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of the Epic Games cloud infrastructure platform. You will leverage your strong technical leadership skills as you play a key role in designing, enhancing, implementing and scaling cloud infrastructure services. Also, thinking strategically and long term will be critical when selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for delivering on the highest priority outcomes and capabilities of the cloud infrastructure platform. As part of the lifecycle of services, you will be responsible for the quality and the cost of the services we release.
You are an influential technology leader, builder, and operator as well as deeply passionate about solving the toughest technology challenges in public cloud services today . A confident and strong executive presence is critical to representing the company as a thought leader in large scale cloud and distributed systems architectures.
Finally, your excitement for working at scale and designing distributed systems in a cloud service environment is nothing short of infectious to those around you. Your high standards for yourself and your colleagues drives engineering and architectural best practices across the org.
In this role, you will
- Be a technical leader within Epic Games
- Lead engineers in the effective software design and implementation of next generation cloud services
- Work on hard cloud and distributed systems problems at scale building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs
- Think globally when building systems to ensure we build high performing, scalable systems that fit well together across the portfolio
- Define infrastructure engineering and technology best practices and patterns
- Drive industry leading, open standards based architectures
- Collaborate with multiple engineering and business leaders across the company
- Mentor and guide early and mid-career software and infrastructure engineers
What we're looking for
- Proven track record of leading the delivery of massive scale networks and distributed systems
- Creative thinking, problem solving, coaching, mentorship and lifelong learning
- Focus on customer challenges, experience and usability
- Experience managing complex projects, with significant bottom-line impact
- Has designed multi-tenant architectures handling typical failure modes such as “noisy neighbors”
- Thrive as a software architect within agile operating models, including defining a “technology runway”
- Confident public speaker who has addressed large, diverse audiences
- Very strong technical leadership and ability to command respect at all levels of the organization from executives to engineers
- Passionate about solving deep technical problems and reducing duplicated efforts
- Expert developer in Java, C/C++, Golang or Rust
- Extensive knowledge of leveraging AWS and Kubernetes to build micro services
- Expert web services engineering skills; REST, GraphQL, gRPC, JSON, OAuth, etc
- Top notch communication, collaborative problem solving and design skills
Pay Transparency Information
The expected annual base pay range(s) for this position are detailed below. Each base pay range is relevant only for individuals who are residents of or will be expected to work within the specified locale. Compensation varies based on a variety of factors, which include (but aren’t limited to) things such as skills and competencies, qualifications, knowledge, and experience. In addition to base pay, most employees are eligible to participate in Epic’s generous benefit plans and discretionary incentive programs (subject to the terms of those plans or programs).
This position is listed in multiple locations across North America
EPIC JOB + EPIC BENEFITS = EPIC LIFE
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. Our coverage includes Medical, Dental, a Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance & a 401k with competitive match. We also offer a robust mental well-being program through Modern Health, which provides free therapy and coaching for employees & dependents.
Throughout the year we celebrate our employees with events and company-wide paid breaks. We offer unlimited PTO and sick time and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical.
- Citizenship: Not Provided
- Incentives: Not Provided
- Education: Not Provided
- Travel: Not Provided
- Telework: Not Provided